Explore the Winelands Full Day
Attention wine lovers! Tantalise your taste buds and brush up on your wine knowledge on our Full Day Winelands Tour. Enjoy three wine tastings at award-winning wine farms, accompanied by a cheese assortment and cellar tour, an exciting ride on the Franschhoek tram, and a visit to the Drankenstein Prison where Nelson Mandela spent the last part of his captivity.
Depart: 08:00 – 09:00
NO TOURS AVAILABLE ON THE 25TH OF DECEMBER!
Inclusions and Exclusions:
Three wine tasting
One cheese tasting
Pick up and drop off at hotel
Earphones to hear the guide clearly
Winelands Visit and Wine Tasting Full Day
- Expand your palate and enjoy three wine tastings at the most prestigious, award-winning wine farms(*) of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl. Enjoy wine tasting, cheese tasting and cellar tours all while gaining knowledge about some of the most unique wines in the world
- Enjoy a unique ride on the vintage-style Franschhoek Tram, passing through breath-taking views and vineyards - one of the best ways to explore the true beauty of Franschhoek
- Visit Paarl and its vibrant Afrikaans culture, and the Drakenstein prison, where Nelson Mandela last stayed before being released
We start the morning off at the Stellenbosch winelands, only 20 minutes out of Cape Town, which offers a majestic scenery that is entirely different to the Cape Peninsula. You will discover different grape varieties that grow in the area such as Chenin Blanc, Shiraz, and the uniquely South African Pinotage. You will also learn about the Méthode Cap Classique developed in the region, that emulates and rivals the very best French champagnes. Stellenbosch is a small but very lively town with a famous university and numerous activities such as wine cellar tours and tastings, museums, galleries and strawberry picking. You will have the opportunity to purchase wines to bring back home to enjoy the region's delightful vintages after your visit.
We then head to Franschhoek - a wine-lover's dream destination - also known as "the French corner", an old Huguenot village. With its numerous streets and estates with French names, the town will make you feel completely bewildered, feeling like you were in France in another era. You will be completely enchanted by the town's charm and its peaceful environment. You will get the chance to taste the region's delicacies, cheeses and its best wines. Since the 1st of October, we are very proud to take you on an unique ride on the Franschhoek Tram, journeying through beautiful vineyards, breath-taking scenery and award-winning wine farms. Bonus - our guides are fluent in English and French!
Drakenstein, also known as Victor Verster Prison, is located between Franschhoek and Paarl. The prison is famous for being the one where Nelson Mandela spent the last fourteen months of his imprisonment for campaigning against Apartheid, afterwards leaving a free man in February 1990! Here you will get to see a recently unveiled, larger than life-size statue of Nelson Mandela raising his fist, not in anger, but as a well-known gesture of defiance, usually accompanied by the freedom slogan - 'amandla awethu' in isiZulu or 'power to the people' in English.
We end off the tour at the town of Paarl, offering you a great perspective into Afrikaans culture and tradition. The district is specially well-known for its Pearl Mountain or "Paarl Rock". The huge granite rock is formed by three rounded outcrops that make up Paarl Mountain and has been compared in majesty to Uluru (formerly known as Ayers Rock) in Australia. Paarl offers you a diverse range of wine farms, the famous Spice Route, the Taal Monument (the Afrikaans language monument), coffee shops, breweries and plenty more. You will also be able to visit the town's vineyards where you will taste the region's finest wines.
(*)Wine farm locations may differ depending on the day of the week or the time of the year.
- This a full day tour of the Winelands and you will be picked up and dropped off from your hotel. -
Pick up and drop off at your hotel or guesthouse around Cape Town.
- Cellar tour
- Three wine tastings
- One cheese tasting
- Optional visits
GENERAL INFORMATION & CONDITION OF SALES
- In case of non-presentation on the tours, full cancellation fees will apply.
- You can cancel until 24 hours before your tours.
- Not available on 25th December and New Years Day
- General information and conditions of carriage prices, routes, places of interest, destinations, hotels and restaurants are subject to availability and to change
- Tour departure and arrival are approximate
- German, French, Spanish as well as other foreign language guides are available on request
- All our vehicles are insured substantially for passenger liability
- All tours are subject to minimum number of passengers
- Luggage and personal possessions are carried at your own risk
- Please ensure that valuables and travel documents are kept safe at all times
- Cash payments are to be made in South Africa Rands unless alternative arrangements have been made
- Full payment is to be made directly to the guide on commencement of the tour, unless otherwise arranged