Townships Half Day
Township tours in Cape Town are a must for anyone wanting to discover the other side of life in Cape Town. These tours take you from the legendary District Six, to some of Cape Town's thriving township such as Langa, where you will learn about the Dutch and British rule of the Cape, slavery, Apartheid, freedom and democracy. You will also have the chance to enjoy local cuisine as well as traditional healers, visit local schools, vibrant churches, shebeens and many other fascinating things to see and do. The people you meet on your township tour will leave you with a new admiration of the South African philosophy of ‘Ubuntu’, meaning a person is a person through other people, as they share a bit of insight into daily life in the townships of Cape Town.
- Daily tours -
Morning: 08:00~09:00 - 12:30
Afternoon: 13:00~14:00 - 17:30
NO TOURS AVAILABLE from December 24th until January 3rd
Inclusions and Exclusions:
Pick up and drop off at hotel
Transport in air-conditioned vehicle
Professional local guide
Earphones to hear the guide clearly
Welcome traditional beer
Township Tour Half Day
The former residential area of District Six is one of the most famous Apartheid areas – once a thriving neighbourhood, the area was deserted after Apartheid government regulated forced removals of up to 60 000 people in the 1970s. The District Six Museum offers a colourful history into the area as it once was, and a monument to preserve the memories of the thousands of people previously living there, as well as the Apartheid years and the area’s downfall.
Langa is one of Cape Town’s thriving townships, and was also established in the Apartheid days after thousands of residents from other areas were forcibly relocated. The area was named after Langalibalele - a chief and renowned rainmaker who was imprisoned on Robben Island in 1873 for rebelling against the Natal government. One of the highlights on this township tour is a visit to one of the area’s famous charismatic churches – something that is sure to leave you enthralled! (sundays Only)
Township entrepreneurs such as tailors, barber shops and little markets are everywhere in the township. You will have the opportunity to take some African souvenirs home with you.
Have a beer at a shebeen
A shebeen is a traditional pub and brewery, or informal beer house, in the township. Locals will make you feel most welcome and you will have the option to taste traditional beer.
Every Sunday there is a vibrant and colourful church service
Despite the tragic and often troubled history of Cape Town’s townships and informal settlements, the areas still retain a strong sense of culture, with a vibrant community atmosphere and plenty of food, entertainment and enterprise. Many community arts projects can be found along the townships, with crafts such as beading, weaving, wire goods and fabric making all to be discovered. The ever-present local shebeens offer another side to life – with South African beer, braais and a strong sense of community to be enjoyed. Township tours are sure to leave you with a better understanding of Cape Town’s history and cultures, making these not to be missed.
- This a half day tour of the townships and you will be picked up and drop off at your hotel. -
- Visit the vibrant township previously under Apartheid regime - Langa, and discover the philospophy of Ubuntu
- Learn about the forced removal of 60 000 inhabitants in District Six and its previous colourful history
- Interact with township entrepreneurs, learn about their ways of life and taste traditional beer at a local shebeen!
No Township tours on Sunday afternoons
Pick up and drop off at your hotel or guesthouse around Cape Town.
GENERAL INFORMATION & CONDITION OF SALES
- In case of non-presentation on the tours, full cancellation fees will apply.
- You can cancel until 24 hours before your tours.
- Not available on the 25th & 31 st of December as well as 1st of January
- No township tours on sunday afternoons
- General information and conditions of carriage prices, routes, places of interest, destinations, hotels and restaurants are subject to availability and to change
- Tour departure and arrival are approximate
- German, French, Spanish as well as other foreign language guides are available on request
- All our vehicles are insured substantially for passenger liability
- All tours are subject to minimum 2 of passengers
- Luggage and personal possessions are carried at your own risk
- Please ensure that valuables and travel documents are kept safe at all times
- Timings are approximate and depend on weather and traffic